About the Role
The Development Manager will be based in our Arlington, Virginia headquarters. In this role you will manage the full development process for a portfolio of the company’s projects, including coordination within the company, consultants, local counties, local communities, and other agencies. You will secure local, state and federal development permits by performing all the tasks needed to acquire permits or overseeing the work of a consultant to accomplish the same goal. You will coordinate permitting approvals with local authorities, including planning & zoning; state, including public utility commissions and departments of transportation; and federal government agencies and authorities. May coordinate with railroads, other utilities, transportation entities, and others. You will work with local communities and local officials to present the company and the project.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
The Development Manager is anticipated to have the following duties and responsibilities:
• Manage team of project development associates
• Secure land use permits for new and acquired solar power facilities
• Manage technical and environmental studies for solar power facilities
• Successfully negotiate project design and mitigation measures with local, state, and federal regulators
• Present project to local communities, identify local supporters and engage in extensive dialogue to advocate for the project
• Identify and coordinate mitigation strategies to reduce project cost and impact
• Manage contractors, vendors, and consultants to maintain project timeline and budget
• Ensure the Project team is fully aware of, and in compliance with, all required permits
• Provide ongoing support to the Project Manager as required throughout the construction process
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, & Expertise
We are looking for someone with a combination of the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience. If you meet at least 70% of the items below, we want to talk to you!
Technical Skills and Expertise
• 3+ years track record of expertise in project development, preferably in Utility-scale renewables in Virginia/East Coast
• Project and/or case management skills, including managing and prioritizing multiple projects and deadlines
• Experience in environmental analysis and environmental regulations
• Experience in facilitating land use applications through public approval process
• High level knowledge of solar renewable energy construction process
• Working knowledge of GIS applications
• Intermediate to expert skills in Microsoft Office
• Independent thinker able to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment
• Proven ability to produce error-free work under deadline
• Team player with strong initiative, intrinsically motivated, works autonomously
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking, negotiating and customer service
• Ability to build effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including local communities and public officials
Education, Training, & Certificates
• Bachelor’s degree in a related or business field preferred; equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
• PMP or CAPM a plus
Work Location, Remote Work, & Travel
This position will be based in the Arlington, Virginia office. Relocation assistance is available.
Travel may be required throughout Virginia and the mid-Atlantic region up to 50% of time.