About the Role
The construction superintendent will be based out of our Arlington, Virginia headquarters. In this role you will be part of the construction team for utility scale solar projects and will be instrumental in leading coordination with contractors, inspectors, consultants, and other agencies. The construction superintendent will oversee field activities and site managers to fulfill all projects’ construction related responsibilities from permitting phase to closeout and turnover to operations and maintenance team. General responsibilities include contractor management and scheduling, field activity oversight, material procurement coordination, as well as involvement and management of all field activities to ensure project is completely in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
The Construction Superintendent is anticipated to have the following duties and responsibilities:
· Oversee and direct all onsite construction activities to ensure project is delivered on time and within budget.
· Manage subcontractor agreements and field activities from pre-construction to closeout
· Manage project turnover from construction team to operations and maintenance team including commissioning, training, and warranties
· Capable of troubleshooting/problem solving issues related to construction, coordinate issues with all stakeholders including but not limited to engineers, project manager, subcontractors, and state/local government employees
· Coordinate and manage all site inspections with state and local inspectors, internal stakeholders, etc.
· Participate in creation of short term lookahead schedules, coordinate with project manager to complete for delivery to internal stakeholders
· Ensure all necessary materials are on site in timely manner to maintain critical path schedule
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, & Expertise
We are looking for someone with a combination of the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience. If you meet at least 70% of the items below, we want to talk to you!
Technical Skills and Expertise
• 7+ years track record of expertise in construction supervision, preferably in Utility-scale renewables in Virginia/East Coast. Those with experience at general contractor, electrical, mechanical and/or civil will be considered.
• Create and manage RFIs to resolve any construction issues not resolved via on site troubleshooting.
• Understand contractor agreements and ensure work is performed to necessary quality standards
• Assist in holding contractors accountable to written agreements, schedule, and project safety and quality standards
• Understand when there is a need for change orders, assist with value engineering, and understand sequencing of construction activities related to construction activities
• Complete routine field inspections of work and report to project manager, general superintendent, etc.
• Complete daily field report or similar to include understanding of ongoing construction activities and their position on critical path schedule
• Lead field meetings to direct subcontractor performance and guide work schedules
• Communicate and schedule work with contractors, ensure construction schedule is being followed
• Work with ENERGIX health and safety and/or quality control manager to ensure projects are running safely and built to specifications
• High level knowledge of solar renewable energy construction process
• Deliver project updates in organized manner
• Coordinate project scheduling, material procurement, inspections, contractor mobilizations, etc. with construction superintendents/site managers
• Manage and develop direct reports if necessary
• Strong technical understanding of drawings and specifications such that one can add value to troubleshooting/problem solving communication with contractors and site managers
• Independent thinker able to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment
• Proven ability to produce error-free work under deadline
• Team player with strong initiative, intrinsically motivated, works autonomously
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking, negotiating and customer service
• Ability to build effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including project managers and subcontractors
Education, Training, & Certificates
Bachelor’s degree in a related or construction management field preferred; equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
Work Location, Remote Work, & Travel
This position will be based in the Arlington, Virginia office with regular travel throughout Virginia. Possible travel to PA, KY, WV. Travel will be required throughout Virginia and the mid-Atlantic region up to 90% of time.